Monday, August 3, 2015

Lifeline part 2

In a Washed Up Land

Alpha

Jonsey lead the four guys towards a helicopter with German Army markings parked at the edge of the field marked off by off limits signs next to a minefield on the outskirts of Camp Eggers. Loaded down with extra duffle bags and exceptionally large backpacks they still move briskly in the heat. Looking through the dropped tail ramp they see that there are at least two pallets of supplies strapped down, the four rearmost stretcher racks are dropped down with obviously sleeping crew flaked out in the early morning cool. A slender woman uses a large pushbroom to move the accumulated sand off the edge of the ramp.

The five men walk up the ramp, the third in line slaps the woman on the ass.

"Great, we get a stewardess to bring us cocktails and lu-" He is cut off from finishing by being knocked past the men already aboard by the vigorous slam of the pushbroom to his back. He is prevented from rising by the woman standing with one foot on his arm just under one shoulder and on the back of his neck.

"Jones, name of this" bouncing on him slightly, causing him to grunt in pain "rude asshole?"

"Santos" replied Ranger before the handler could answer.

She moved off of Santos, reached down and lifted him by the back of his collar and flipped him over.

"You touch me without my permission, you are disrespectful to me again you will discover the landing zone from one thousand meters. We do not carry spare parachutes. Understood?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Every woman is someone's mother, someone's sister, someone's daughter. We are not property."

"I am sorry for being an asshole. I won't do it again, I promise," Santos said.

Wrath reached a hand down to Santos to help him up. "Apology accepted. Welcome aboard the Wrath of God." She takes a clipboard and passes it over. "Confirm all your supplies are present. We step off in one hour when the morning wind has dropped."

Ranger and Jonesey watch Santos take the clipboard and walk around each pallet doublechecking each case. They will be training a small group that need weapons and education. Two of the four aircrew are woken up by the woman by name "Fog, Smoke. Time for the preflight check." The two men get up and grab clipboards and start their walk around. The blond climbs up the outside and starts checking the outside at the rotors and works his way back. The small darker man checks the interior of the helicopter, moving around the various obstacles. "Wasp and Bolt loaded the pallets and acqired two pallet jacks. We will need to return them when we return. Don't damage them."

Santos returned with the clipboard and stood next to Ranger.

"Everything is checked off. I did a random check on 5 crates on each pallet and the contents check out." He set the clipboard down on one of the vacated stretchers and turned to Wrath. "Where does our gear go?"

"Strap the gear into the stretchers, when we leave you will be sitting in one of the four empty seats between the pallets and our door guns." She slaps the bottom end of each occupied stretcher to wake up the occupants. With the check being finished, the two pilots return to the back.

Jonsey finally introduces the 5 crew to his team. "This is the Wrath of God. My best insertion team. Wrath and Wasp are the doorgunners, Smoke and Fog are the pilots, and Bolt is the loadmaster. Wrath is the boss. Until she lifts off after dropping you guys, she is in charge. Don't piss her off, it makes lots of paperwork explaining the bodies." Turning he indicates the four men "Ranger, in charge of this group. Tank, Santos who you met and Brown. This is their first mission with us, please be a little lenient with them Wrath."

The two groups all shake hands, and Jonsey heads down the ramp towards the small office building the ISAF was using as a tower.

Step off time here, they button up the tail ramp, slide open the sides and head off into the morning sun.

...and Omega

"Just once I would like to see sand that comes with a nice beach. And some other color than brown," Wrath commented to Ranger.

"I think the first thing I want to do is take Steph to Point Pleasant. I bought a house there before we left. She loves the beach."

"Tell you what, shoot me an email and let me know how things come out." Wrath passes over a small card with nothing on it except a Gmail account. "I am glad you guys made it."

"Thanks, I thought it was a good omen when I saw you were our team for this. First team we worked with, last team we worked with."

"Going soft, Bossman?" Tank laughed softly.

"Offload fast, we need to bail immediately. We have some issues with some damned fobbit and I don't want to get hung up in paperwork." Wrath commented.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuck, I think something crapped in my mouth. Hm, Sikorsky green. Rivets. Canvas. 

"Bolt? Bobby?"

A hand moved into view with a bottle of water, outside beaded with water. Lester felt his head lifted so he could drink.

"We are five minutes out, everybody else is waking up now."

"I hope Fog and Smoke are awake" wisecracked Lester.

"Ha ha ha. Nobody likes a smartass." The loadmaster leaned over and looked towards the front of the helicopter. "You guys want your extra crap? Looks pretty whipped."

"Nope, we can tell them it was lost or destroyed." Ranger, Bobby and Tank slung their weapons on their backs, and  braced for landing. As soon as they hit, Bolt dropped the ramp, and Ranger and Tank each grabbed an end of Lester's stretcher and trotted down the ramp. Bobby followed with a small rucksack loaded with the intelligence they had been sent to retrieve. As they met Jonsey they passed 8 military police headed towards the helicopter.

The sounds of the GE T64 turboprop engines winding up stopped the MPs in their tracks as the downdraft whipped the sand and dust around in a wild cyclone and the Wrath of God left.

"Where the fuck did they go?!" demanded Jonsey.

"Don't look at me, they are your guys, not mine." Ranger commented as the four men headed to the base infirmary to get cleared to leave for Washington with Jonsey.




Brand New Sun  - Jason Lytle

Here,
Grab a broken branch
With a sunburnt hand
In a washed up land

Soon,
We should rest a while
We're like a tired child
It's been a lot of miles.

I might fall down
And my back is bad
We might fall down
On a sleeping back.

So you should hold my hand
While everything blows away

And we'll run,
To a brand new sun.
We will run,
To a brand new sun.

Damn,
How did it get so bad?
With all the dreams we had
Now you seem so sad.

You should hold my hand
While everything blows away

And we'll run
To a brand new sun.
We will run
To a brand new sun

We will run
To a brand new sun.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Dead Skin on Trial

Yet another blank sterile room with 4 bottles of water on the table. Another day telling the same story to a tape recorder. Or in this case, to a mic hooked up to a laptop, how things have changed in 10 years. Same handler, same alphabet agencies, same same same.

"Well, guys, we filled all the squares. Everything checks out except the pickup details," Hammond says while packing up his briefcase.

Les, who by this time has had his head down on his crossed arms for the last hour cracks an eye "What is wrong with the pickup details? Wrath has cameras in the cargo area of Baby, has had for years. Can't you just log those and add them?"

"We would, except CH53G 84-34 was shot down, a total loss including the crew. Sorry, I know you worked with them a lot in your 10 years with us. They were admittedly our best in and out team."

To his credit, Hammond actually looked like he really did miss them.

"What happened?" Ranger found himself asking. Who knows, he might actually be able to get an answer.

"They were headed back to Laupheim to park Baby and get routine maintenance done. The wreckage was found by a road clearing unit going through with a convoy. They said that the ammo seems to have really done a number on the shell, and the fuel turned it into a crematory - there weren't any bone fragments larger than a quarter. They got DNA out of some molars found in one of the flight helmets where it had been crushed and the metal protected it from the heat. It was definitely Fog. We..." Hammond looked upset "We couldn't notify anybody, none of them had any family but themselves. We made up a selection of ash from what appeared to be their bodies and I snuck them into Arlington in a no honors interrment in one of the columbaria, and used Bolt's real information since he was actually US Navy and we could manage it."

The four men nodded, it was more than anybody going into this life could have expected.

"So, congratulations, you are done with your contracts - we are sorry that you are retiring. Personally, I am glad you made it back this time. From what I understand Wrath of God nearly didn't make the pickup because of some officious general wanting pretty pictures so he could campaign for political office next year when he retires. We took care of it. It is amazing how invisible our little program can be."

"Do tell" said Tank.

Everybody stood up, stretched and headed out - Hammond to his office and a stack of paperwork, and the Core Team back to Trenton.




"Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" - Green Day

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right,
I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right,
I hope you had the time of your life.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right,
I hope you had the time of your life.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right,
I hope you had the time of your life.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

The Many-colored Beast

"Finally, took damn long enough. Dead is dead," grumped Tank unlocking the door and fobbing the alarm system off. "I don't see why it should have taken 3 extra days just because it was our final mission."

"Pressuring us to re-up our contract?" mused Lester.

"Not happening. Got to call my sister and get my kitties back home. 16 months, damn, I hope they remember me."

"Going to listen to my messages," Ranger moved into the small alcove set aside as an office. "Try to keep it down to a dull  roar."

"Dialing for food," chimed in Bobby "Any requests or pizza OK?"

Toning out the assorted sounds of his friends settling in for a long awaited decompression vacation Ranger flips open his laptop and logs in to pull up all his voicemails on all three accounts. First and most important was his private number for Steph. Oddly, the messages stop after 5 months. In a panic, he listens to several from January - the expected short ones wishing him a sweet g'night, longer ones updating him on interesting days or bad days she wanted to vent about. Same for  February, March and April. She is definitely happy about signing a contract and working for Rangeman part time, there are more happy calls than rolling in the trash ones.

May is unsettling.

fsssssssssssssbeep Diego moved me down into the file room. He doesn't seem to like me. Well, you made him boss, so I will do files. Miss you.

Diego? Diego is in Miami. And why move her to the file room? What a waste.

fsssssssssssbeep soft sniffles, so not good. A tentative weepy voiced Steph stutters and false starts a message then hangs up.

Oh this is really so not good. Her protective detail better be on the job or they are going to be gone. And they won't get a good recommendation. If I let them live.

fsssssssssssbeep It's Grandma, she is gone, and I miss her already. She had a headache and then .... gone. I wish you were here.

Ah, something her team couldn't do anything about. I wonder what it was. Stroke or aneurysm it sounds like. Damn, I wish I had been here, not that I could have saved her, I am not magic, but I could have helped her cry.

fsssssssssbeep Oh Ranger, everyone is dying! <wild sobs> I really could use you right now ....

Holy hell, now who died ...

fssssssssssssbeep What the *hell* is wrong with you. I didn't mind being moved to the file room, but you can't fire me in person, you have Diego do it? And because I am not doing my job, and am costing the company too much? What the FUCK Ranger.

What the fuck indeed!

fssssssssssssbeep I'm sorry I screwed everything up, please don't hate me, call me back soon.

That did not sound good.

fsssssssssssssbeep soft sobbing.

And that is the sound of both our hearts breaking.


fssssssssssssssbeep

Um, this is Joe Morelli, um, there is something ... hinkey going on with Rangeman but you shouldn't call or go there directly, maybe call Steph first if you can't get me at work. I cheated and got the phone company to get me this number off some old records. Um, Steph used to call this number when you were away and it isn't the same Rangeman numbers we have at the station so I am hoping it is safe, or I may be dead if it isn't.

Now that is definitely odd.

 Ranger dials Steph's cell number and it rings into voicemail. "Babe, I just got home, please call me as soon as you get this message."

"Tank, Guys. We may have a problem."

"Problem? Something the matter with Steph?" Lester pops up over the back of the couch looking concerned.

Tank and Bobby head to the small office nook and grab seats.

"Look, Steph has a private number for me that I save all the messages on."

"Whipped" chimes Lester. Tank throws the nerf football that had been sitting on the desk at him.

"They started out fine, until last April. Now listen," Ranger plays the first message.

"Diego should be in Miami, why would he be in Trenton, and changing the staffing around?" Tank rumbles in bemusement.

Ranger hits play for the next message.

Lester drops the football "What the fuck! You never talked with Diego while we were gone at all. Why would he fire Steph?"

"And for not doing her job and costing us money?" Bobbie looked confused, "Steph is one of the best researchers we ever  hired. And the only one that can do distractions worth a shit."

"And it gets even better," and he plays Joe's message.

"I have no idea what the hell is going on, but it really does not sound good at all. If we have Joe worried about Rangeman and trying to contact me without going through Rangeman something is really going wrong."

"I hope Steph is OK - she sounded seriously pissed with you." Tank looked concerned.

"I am more concerned that all this is a year old. And Steph isn't answering her cell." Ranger gets up and moves to his duffle, grabbing it. "I need a shower, some food and we need to find out what the hell is happening."

The other three agree, and sort out their bags and head to their rooms to get ready.

Standing under the hot water, Ranger hopes that he can find and convince Steph that she is still his babe, and they can get  to the bottom of the problem with Diego and Rangeman. Life without babe is not anything he wants to go on with.


"4+20" - Crosby, Stills and Nash

Four and twenty years ago, I come into this life,
The son of a woman and a man who lived in strife.
He was tired of being poor and he wasn't into selling door to door
And he worked like the devil to be more.


A different kind of poverty now upsets me so.
Night after sleepless night, I walk the floor and I want to know- why am I so alone?
Where is my woman can I bring her home? Have I driven her away? Is she gone?


Morning comes to sunrise and I'm driven to my bed.
I see that it is empty and there's devils in my head.
I embrace the many colored beast. I grow weary of the torment, can there be no peace?
And I find myself just wishing that my life would simply cease.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Nasty Dogs

The guys pile into Ranger's Cayenne and head out. Getting to the corner of St James and Dunworth, they stop in the entrance of the parking lot, stunned at the new sign on the building.

"What the hell - Dunworth Medical Building? When did this happen?" Confused, Ranger looks into the lightly occupied parking lot. "Where did all the old farts go?"

"Not a freaking clue. I know some of the smaller apartment buildings tend to get resold to be used as offices, the income is better because it doesn't have the same rent control issues that elder housing has," Tank comments. "Joe's house now?"

"As good a place as any. Be there in five," said Ranger. Pulling out of the other entrance to the lot, they merge into traffic.

Pulling up to Joe's house, dark with empty windows and a for sale sign, Ranger turns the engine off and exhales. "I would love to know what the fuck is going on. Did Joe try to investigate Rangeman and get killed, did he move? Try the bond office next? I think they are just about to close for the day but we should be able to make it." He starts the engine and the SUV pulls into the street and heads towards Hamilton and the bond office.

After a brief trip through Trenton's evening crush, Ranger pulls the cayenne to the curb a block away from the bond office. There is still a light showing through the window onto the sidewalk. The four men exit the SUV and talk in quietly.

"Lester and I will go, you two stay here. No sense in crowding things." The other three men agree. Bobby and Tank lean against the SUV, and Ranger and Les turn to head over to the bond office. As they do, a slender woman and shaggy dog leave, locking the office and heading into the park.

"There is Steph, and Bob. Is she together with Joe and did they move to somewhere near here or is she just walking Bob?"

Their boots crunch lightly on the gravel of the path. Just as they are almost within talking distance, the woman drops the dog's lead, makes a controlled leap towards the men. Using a startled Ranger as a support, she slams her boots into Lester's chest knocking him down with an ominous crunch. Her weight and holds on his shoulders topples Ranger onto his back. She drops into a crouch so her feet hold him down by pressing on the nerve plexes in his armpits as her left hand forces his head back to expose his neck to a killing shot.

Dios, freeze, don't move, don't blink, don't talk.

Ranger freezes, hoping to control his reflexes. "Babe," he gently exhales without realizing he formed the word while trying to remain silent.

When did her face turn cold, and her eyes go dead. What happened while I was gone.

In a voice so quiet he barely heard her from arms length "You haven't wanted me to be your "babe" in more than a year. You broke my heart twice, I am not letting you do it again." Her shoulder tenses as her hand draws back again and slashes down and then sideways, slicing into the skin on his neck with her fingernails. She gets up, calls Bob back to herself and leaves.

Tank reholsters his sig and heaves a sigh of relief. As long as Steph was talking to Ranger he wasn't going to disturb them but that last swift move had terrified him.

Ranger lay where he was felled. Tank checked on the gasping Lester, that had been one hell of a roundhouse kick to his solar plexus. "Hope his ribs aren't cracked, I think I heard crunching," Bobbie pulled his mini-maglight out of a cargo pocket and touched the line of blood on Ranger' neck, assessing the damage to his neck. Ranger touched the moisture that had dropped onto his face, and tasted the tears on his fingers, assessing the damage to his heart.

"Did anybody see where Steph went?" Ranger finally got out.

Bobby replied "She went into those apartments, and the lights went on up on the top floor. I am guessing that she moved there. Wasn't that Morelli's dog?"

"Yes, I think a golden retriever got frisky with a bigfoot. That is the damnedest looking dog." Tank held a hand down to Lester, who gingerly pulled himself up. They walked over to Ranger and Bobby got ready to follow Steph.

"Well, let's go, we need to talk to Morelli and Steph about his message and find out what the deal is with Rangeman." Ranger hauled himself up and cracked his neck to loosen it.

The four men walk through the gloom to the apartment building.

"You know, I never thought that anything short of a few pounds of simtex could have gotten Morelli out of his house. I wonder what happened," Bobby mused out loud.


George Clinton's Atomic Dog

Yeah, this is a story of a famous dog
For the dog that chases its tail will be dizzy
These are clapping dogs, rhythmic dogs
Harmonic dogs, house dogs, street dogs
Dog of the world unite
Dancin' dogs
Yeah
Countin' dogs, funky dogs
Nasty dogs (dog)

Atomic dog
Atomic dog

Like the boys
When they're out there walkin' the streets
May compete
Nothin' but the dog in ya

Bow, wow, wow, yippie, yo, yippie, yeah
Bow, wow, yippie, yo, yippie, yeah
Bow, wow, wow, yippie, yo, yippie, yeah
Bow, wow, yippie, yo, yippie, yeah





No comments:

Post a Comment